Water Resources Development Act Project Requests
The Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) is enacted by Congress to deal with various aspects of water resources: environmental, structural, navigational, flood protection, hydrology, etc. Typically, the United States Army Corps of Engineers administers the bulk of the Act's requirements.
Rep. Capuano requested that the Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) of 2010, which is currently being considered by the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, include authorizations for the following water projects that would benefit Massachusetts' eighth congressional district.
Please note that not all projects will be funded and those that are funded may receive less than requested:
- Project Purpose: To authorize measures to enhance public access to Boston Harbor, including repair and replacement of piers located on Georges Island.
Authorization amount requested: $10,784,239
- Project Purpose: To authorize assistance to the Massachusetts Water Resources Agency for the implementation of a combined sewer overflow long-term control plan.
Authorization amount requested: $61,100,000
- Project Purpose: To authorize the Secretary to provide technical assistance to the City of Boston for groundwater issues including acquisition of hydrologic data, groundwater and fill characterization, and recharge.
Authorization amount requested: $6,000,000
- Project Purpose: To Authorize the Secretary to use funds in the Environmental Restoration Account, Formerly Used Defense Sites for the removal and abatement of asbestos, and other harmful contaminates on the formerly used defense site of Gallops Island.
Authorization amount requested: $3,250,000
- Project Purpose: To direct the Secretary of the Army to determine whether modifications of the recommendations of the Chief of Engineers are advisable in the interest of environmental restoration in the Mystic River Watershed
- Project Purpose: To authorize dam removal, environmental mediation, and fish passage improvements on the Neponset River.
Authorization amount requested: $6,080,000